Cubby's




salads, sandwiches, sides
glory to the delicious prize
salads for $9.99

mocha loca shake
a sweet sticky lake
ready for all to take
Cubby's: you certainly take the cake

A love poem for my first love in Provo: Cubby's. I really sacrificed my "chill girl image" during my latest visit. Apparently standing on your chair and forcing your roommate to shine her flash light over your food to get the perfect lighting is frowned upon. A table of 10 high school girls started giggling and taking snapchats of me, so I guess that was an ego crusher. BUT, it was all for you. Because guess who got the tri-tip steak salad, rosemary fries and mocha loca shake recipes? ME. Which means I'm going to share them, because who doesn't love some delicious gossip?

Tri-Tip Steak Salad ($9.99)

Tri-Tip Steak Salad:

  • 2 cups romaine arugula mix
  • 1/3 cup dried cherries
  • 1 roasted red pepper
  • chopped scallions
  • 1/2 cup halved cherry tomatoes
  • 1/4 cup sliced roasted almonds
  • feta cheese
  • cilantro garnish
  • grilled steak
  • salt to taste
  • pepper to taste
I ALMOST got the dressing recipe by being a snake and asking multiple employees, even though I had already been told no. So, my next plan - deceit. My "food allergies" helped me obtain some key ingredient info to create a copy cat. 

Tri-Tip Steak Salad Dressing:
  • 1/3 cup olive oil
  • Juice from 1/2 lemon
  • 2 tbs. water 
  • 2 handfuls of cilantro
  • 1 tsp. agave
  • 2 tsp. garlic
  • 2 tbs. red wine vinegar
  • 1/4 tsp salt
This recipe is literally almost the recipe, just replace the honey with agave!


Salad Preparation:

  1. Prepare your steak. Here's a basic recipe. https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016919-grilled-or-oven-roasted-santa-maria-tri-tip
  2. Roast those red peppers. Here's a yummy recipe, but you can roast them any way your heart desires. http://www.panningtheglobe.com/2017/08/08/roasted-red-peppers-recipe/
  3. Roast the almonds and slice them! This is super basic. https://elanaspantry.com/how-to-roast-almonds/
  4. Throw the lettuce, tomatoes, scallions, cherries, roasted almonds, roasted peppers, and steak together in a bowl.
  5. Sprinkle the feta cheese over the mix.
  6. Place a sprig of cilantro on top.
  7. Salt and pepper to taste!
Dressing Prep:

  1. Literally just throw all of the ingredients into a food processor and blend until it's smooth and combined.
  2. If the flavor is too intense, add water one tsp at a time.
  3. Dump that deliciousness over the salad and enjoy. 

But how can you go to Cubby's and JUST get a salad. I always always always get the sweet potato fries, but after hearing people just RAVE over the rosemary fries, I decided I'd switch it up and try them. Honestly, I was not that impressed. The sweet potato fries are SO much better. Maybe I just went on an off day?? (P.S. They kinda skimp on fries there, but maybe they are just telling me that I don't need to eat a full plate of fries at every meal!)  I decided to just take the basic Cubby's rosemary fries recipe and do little bit of a makeover to make them even more delicious. You're welcome.

Rosemary Fries (see?! there's barely any seasoning!) $2.49


Ingredients:

  • Sliced potatoes (3 large russet potatoes)
  • Vegetable oil (or if you're REAL fancy and you love yourself, you'll fry them in beef tallow)
  • Rosemary
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Lemon zest
  • Garlic salt

Prep:

  1. Prepare the french fries with this yummy recipe. https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/twice-cooked-french-fries-241100
  2. Create a rosemary seasoning mix with this recipe which is much better than Cubby's. (you probably don't need to make this much, so just scale it down for your purposes) http://myreciperoundup.blogspot.com/2012/07/rosemary-herb-seasoning-blend.htm Feel free to add some chili powder if you're into spicy things!



But waiiiit.... you definitely have room for dessert. We all have a second stomach which is specifically for dessert, so basically you ALWAYS have room for dessert. Don't deny yourself good things. This recipe is the Mocha Loca shake, which was described to me like this: "It's like a coffee milkshake except without the coffee, so all of those Mormons can stop worrying about breaking covenants." Regardless, it's delicious for everyone. Sadly, I do not have any pictures because the cup wasn't very cute (and my roommate and I consumed it like starving animals and forgot to take a picture). I was surprised to learn how simple it is!  



Cubby's Options (vegetarian and kid friendly!)


Ingredients:

  • 2 c. Blue Bunny vanilla ice cream (or if you're boujee like me, you'll use Hagen Daaz)
  • 2 Graham cracker sheets (or more!)
  • 1/4 Synthetic coffee (you can use real coffee flavor)
  • 1/4 c. Whole milk
  • Caramel sauce (garnish)

Prep:

  1. Add ice cream, milk, coffee, and graham crackers to the blender
  2. Blend until it's thiccc (for thicker milkshakes, add more ice cream or less milk)
  3. Top with caramel sauce 


So in the words of Cubby's....



although, don't expect me to get married anytime soon



Comments

  1. I am so excited to join you in your culinary adventures! And I'm excited to make this salad too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment